The Power of Content Marketing

The Power of Content Marketing

The godfather of modern marketing, Seth Godin, puts it this way: “Content marketing is the only marketing left”. At Nimbler we believe that to be true, and it is extremely important to educate your customers using quality content, providing them with the resources they need to believe and trust you.

 

Ideation and planning

By far the most important step is ideating and planning your content. By curating your content you make it relevant to your audience, as well as the time and the platform. Share your photos on Instagram, your quotes on Twitter and your videos on YouTube; make sure your Xmas post goes out timely, and wish everybody a happy New Year before you get back into the office on January 5th.

 

To manage this we use a Content Calendar, which contains both time-sensitive posts and evergreen content. By having both we always have something to post.

Types of content

Every business has the opportunity to create a wide variety of content, including written articles, videos, podcasts and imagery. Make sure the type of content you’re creating is fit for purpose, and always focus on quality over quantity.

The 80/20 rule

When we plan content we try to follow the 80/20 rule for most brands. We want 80% of your content to be fun and engaging – they are the reason people follow you. However, you also need to promote your product or service, which we do in the remaining 20% of posts.

Use the right channels

You have at your disposal a wide variety of channels, including social media, email and the blog on your website. Meanwhile other forms of communication, like email signature promos and invoices, are often overlooked as channels to get your message out. Whatever channels you aim to use, make sure they are effective at reaching your audience and getting your message across.

 

Social media advertising

There are two ways to get content to your audience on social media: organic and through advertising (or ‘boosting’). Organic posts reach your audience, and if your audience likes your post, it may reach their connections. If your content is particularly ‘likeable’ you can achieve a viral effect this way, reaching a huge group of people free of charge. However, these days that avenue is mostly closed to businesses since free advertising is not Facebook’s and LinkedIn’s mission.

 

So most of the time we need to give our content a little boost by providing the social platform with an advertising budget. The advantage is that you can choose exactly what content reaches what audience, so if you want to use LinkedIn to target Chief Information Officers in businesses with more than 50 employees in the Aviation industry in West Africa, you definitely can. Moreover, you only pay for engagements (such as clicks, likes and shares) from a fixed budget.